Apple Cider Vinegar
July 10, 2010 § 2 Comments
- Wash apples well.
- Crush into a pulp and strain off the juice (or use a juicer).
- Crumble wine yeast cake.
- Dissolve in about 1 liter of cider ~ this makes enough starter for 20 liters of cider.
- Add starter to the cider.
- Fill container(s) for 3/4 with cider.
- Cover the tops with a few layers of clean cheesecloth fastened in place with a rubberband.
- Store the containers away from direct sunlight in a space that has stable room temperature (around 21℃).
- Stir liquid daily and replace cheesecloth covers.
- After about 3 to 4 weeks the liquid begins to smell like vinegar.
- Try with a clean spoon each day (only dip once) until it is to your taste.
- Stir the “mother” (sediment) and pour into smaller bottles for use.